Monday, July 18, 2005

Whenever flames may rage

IT's Monday night,

I am so Frickin tired... it has to be the Monday blues

Today was a cool and rainy day, excellent conditions for sleeping and few people came down to the pool to swim

But I tried to stay awake in the office, a torturous affair indeed and it dosen't help by getting up at 5 in the morning.

Currently reading a book about a Fire chief's first hand account of the happenings at the World Trade Centre 4 years ago on September 11, the title: Last Man Down.

In one of the front pages is a poem;


When I am called to duty, God,
Whenever flames may rage;
Give me strength to save some life,
Whatever be its age.

Help me embrace a little child
Before it is too late
Or save an older person
From the horror of that fate.

Enable me to be alert
And hear the weakest shout,
And quickly and efficiently
To put the fire out.

I want to fill my calling
And to give the best in me
To guard my every neighbor
And protect his property.

And if, according to my fate,
I am to lose my life,
Please bless with your protecting
My children and my wife.

The Fireman's Prayer
- Author Unknown


I have great respect for people who save lives, people who are trained to put duty before self, people who run in the opposite direction while others are fleeing. It's hard to find that kind of dedication and compassion in many people.

I myself (as a civilian) don't know how I would face up to the situations the firemen had to deal with on the morning of 9/11 if I was faced with a similar task. But let those words inspire you as they inspire me and say a prayer for their safety(in what ever faith that you may follow) for these brave men who risk their lives on the job everyday.

5 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yeh... that's what separates the heros from the commoners.

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger Dick Chan said...

not just heros, everyday heros..

 
At 7:57 AM, Blogger Dick Chan said...

hehee thank u soundbar =)

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Novastarr said...

Thank you for sharing. That was an inspiring and tear-jerking poem. I always whine when my hubby is called for reservist. Should not do that anymore.

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Dick Chan said...

nebulaenova: he's a firefighter? cool...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Free Website Counter