Saturday, July 16, 2005

People Power

What do you know! I managed to get passes to sit in the Grandstand for Saturday's NDP rehearsal. For the past two weekends I've been outside the Padang where I could not see the parade, for this last photo feature on the NDP rehearsals, lets go into the heart of the Padang where all the action is...

The bulk of the audience came from the Primary schools of Singapore as it was the 2nd NE(National Education) show for the school children. Encouraged to dress in red, the Padang seats were filled with red T-shirts and waving flags.

Departing from the theme of 'men and machine' as I have featured in my last two NDP posts, I have decided to have 'People' as the theme this time round.

(click on photos to enlarge)

A proud young man waving the flag. His flag. Our flag.


A face in the crowd, the brightest of smiles


A cheerleader doing her part to drive the crowd


A salute by Singapore's finest, The free-fallers who call themselves the Red Lions


Under the watchful pillars of the city hall


The lovely Vernetta Lopez being ferried off the scene.


Also making her exit after the pre-parade segment is Kym Ng


It threatened to pour, but the rain came down in a drizzle. No way any rain is going to spoil MY FUN!


Guarding the President


The parade commander gives the orders to present arms


Leading the Mobile column


Look out for the dozens of colourful floats at this year's NDP


Raffles was a chinese guy?


Members of the mass display doing a dance routine


Human operated float


A fantastic light show awaits the audience of this year's NDP

I hope you have enjoyed our little journey without having me reveal too much. If you have spotted yourself in one of these pictures, do drop me an email or comment.

10 Comments:

At 11:26 PM, Blogger Jac said...

i like the second one.

you lucky pig. i only got to sit on the right side of the grandstand. not a very good view...

 
At 2:00 AM, Blogger Dick Chan said...

lis: HEHEHE.. I was super heng, yes tat is my favourite picture.. :-)

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Ellipsis said...

your pic titled "a face in the crowd" is just fantastic.:)

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Novastarr said...

Thank you for that nice picture preview of the upcoming NDP. I enjoyed it. I simply lurve the face in the crowd pic. Nicely taken. BTW, I link you-you link me okay?

 
At 4:17 AM, Blogger Dick Chan said...

Ballofyarn: thank u :-)

nebulaenova: sure no problem, I tried to click on your profile but it said 'profile not found', but i linked http://www.nebulaenova.com is that you?

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Wei Zhong Kristoffer Tan said...

Love the pictures you posted.
Have been years since I have a good picture view on th NDP. Be back home next year for NDP.

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger Dick Chan said...

ZONG: u live in Hawaii!?!!?! i've never been there, but i can picture it as a beautiful place, i have to go there some day

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger Novastarr said...

Siyang, you are right. www.nebulaenova.com is me. My backside big - lazy to do profile hwwawhawhah! Another thing, what camera you using ah? Pics very nice!

 
At 4:31 AM, Blogger Maria said...

It sure seems that you had a field day taking photographs. I've never been to the actual NDP parade (as in only managed to attend the previews) but i did thoroughly enjoy it. The fireworks sections were always the best. If you're going to attend the parade for the sole purpose of watching it, its definitely worth it.(We all know that the march pass section is the most boring)
What can i say? 40 years has passed in a blink of an eye. Almost can't believe that 40 years ago, we were a 3rd world country, we might not have made it to where we are today. Just how many countries can honestly say that within fourty years,they can achieve what Singapore has?
I can bet you that it does'nt take much for you to appreciate what Singapore has,as soon as you cross the causeway, well, you know what i mean.

Your fellow Singaporean,
Cheers ;)

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger Dick Chan said...

Nebulaenova: chey, no wonder cannot find your profile.. hehe I am just using an Olympus c-750, these are prosumer cameras which are better than the average camera but still have alot of short comings when it comes to noise and taking in low light etc. I hope to get a DSLR one fine day!!!!

Maria: Yes i believe we have come a long way in such a short time...and i'm proud of that. U know wat? I actually find the parade and the march past more interesting than after that.. hahaha.. maybe becos guys can identify more with the parade formalities/formations

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Free Website Counter