Saturday, July 09, 2005

Of Men and Machine Part II

I was at the Esplanade/Suntec Area again on Saturday. After a morning of taking photos in my graduation gown with some friends I stayed back to catch the NDP rehearsal. Last week I was at the Esplanade Bridge, this time, I positioned myself on the roof terrace of the Durians during most of the show.

After the long day ended, I came home and switched on the TV, there was a report that one of the freefallers in the Red Lions team was badly injured as he landed badly after losing control of his parachute. I hope Master Sergeant Chua Koon San makes a full recovery. I guess this shows that no matter how easy they make it look, the dangers of parachuting are still very real.


A sea of red; this week the rehearsals were watched by students from all over Singapore



Victory; one of the vehicles of the mobile column


You look a bit green today sir


The SM1 tank


The red lions; at this point I saw them coming down sharp and fast. It was a downward spiral at breakneck speed.


Something you don't see on TV; Here you see 2 flags, the one separating from the main formation just before it flies over the Esplanade is, I presume, a spare flag. Just in case anything happens to the main one.


F16s doing a burst... Deafening


KC-135 Stratotanker being flanked by F5 tigers; you can see the refueling 'thing' sticking out from the tail of the plane.


An ang moh couple enjoying the sights, jolly good show!


Something terrible has happened on the bay! So many Fire engines and EMS vehicles!



Due to my retarded-ness, most of my fireworks pics has gone to the dogs, this is probably the only presentable one.

5 Comments:

At 5:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

They always have spare flags during the parade, just that seldom see it. Well taken shot.

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger Jac said...

it was kinda traumatic. probably more so for the choir people - talking about the commando fall incident. i was watching it from the stands.

it was like parachute sailing down. man touch ground. man rolls. man lies motionless. awkward pause. medical team rushed in...

and the best part - everything was still going on as per normal. kinda surreal.

 
At 6:18 AM, Blogger Dick Chan said...

lancerlord: oh cool.. i guess when they have to use it.. means something has gone seriously wrong..

lisette: The show must go on... :) of cos I couldnt see all this from where i was.. i've always admired how they land so gracefully, like eagles coming down from the sky. I'm glad he's not tooooo badly hurt

 
At 5:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing's happened at marina bay, dats juz fire engines standing by for national events in case of any emergencies..

-Juz some firefighter- :Þ

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Dick Chan said...

anon: that looks like some MAJOR standby :p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Free Website Counter